Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Day To Write Home About

Let me just tell you about my day yesterday. This is kind of long so sit back and relax. I'll start off by saying I'm glad it's over. I had our Young Women New Beginnings Program last night so I knew it was going to be a busy day. But I was unprepared for the added craziness.
I was looking forward to Chloe's naptime because that meant I had 2 hours to get things done. 30 minutes into her nap she woke up and refused to go back to sleep. That's when it all started. I love Chloe to death but she can be a bit of a handful. I am frantically trying to finish writing my talk that I'm suppose to be giving in about 4 hours. YIKES!! Can anyone say PROCRASTINATION( see Stevie I am good at this too). Channing and Chloe are playing a game on Ryan's laptop and I'm thinking to myself, this isn't so bad, at least they are quiet. Then I hear this...
Channing: Ohhh Chloe. Mom, Chloe peed on the floor.
Me: What??
I turn around and Chloe is standing in a puddle. I'm thinking, I don't have time to be giving baths and scrubbing carpets, but I do it anyway. As I'm getting Chloe out of the tub she very sincerely says, "Mom, I'm sorry I peed in my pants." How can I get mad at that.
Ok, back to my talk.
Channing: Mom, we're hungry. Can we have a snack.
Me: You can have the chicken nuggets that you wouldn't eat at lunch.
Channing: Ok.
They trot off to the kitchen to eat.
Back to my stuff. Now I'm printing programs. I have just enough colored paper to print 2 programs per page. I push print and walk away to gather the stuff I'm suppose to take with me. As I walk toward the kitchen I see a trail, about 5 feet long, of dark red barbeque sauce on my light, did I mention LIGHT, carpet.
Me: Who did this?
Channing: Chloe.
Once again I'm thinking to myself. I don't have time for this!!! 2 different carpet cleaners and 20 mintues later the carpet is better but not clean. I love clean carpet and try hard to spot treat my carpet frequently, so in my mind I still see big splotches of BBQ sauce. Oh well.
I get back to the computer to check the printed programs, only to find out I forgot to print 2 programs per page. I now have 9 programs instead of 18 and I don't have any more colored paper. So I turn the paper over and reprint on the other side. But now I have to trim them all and glue them onto white paper so you can't see the mistake on the other side.
As I'm doing this I hear...
Channing: Mom, Chloe peed on the couch.
Me: WHAT!!
I'm now screaming to myself "I SERIOUSLY DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS!!"
Sure enough, Chloe is once again in the middle of a puddle. I'm not sure wether to scream, cry or laugh. I bite my lip and scoop Chloe up and run for the bathtub. Another bath and another, "Mom, I'm sorry I pottyed in my pants." As I'm cleaning the couch Chloe wants a drink of milk. I can't find the cup she wants so we agree on a Tinkerbell cup that has a lid and a straw. I must have said 5 times, "Chloe, stay in the kitchen with the milk ok."
I'm now preparing the appetizers I have to take and I hear...
Channing: Chloe, you're suppose to stay in the kitchen.
I peak around the corner and Chloe has tipped her cup upside down and shaken all the milk out onto the coffee table.
Me: You've got to be kidding me. Chloe get in the kitchen!!
I wipe up the milk, finish preparing the food and race back to the bathroom to get ready. Ryan calls to inform me he is stuck downtown in horrible traffic, due to the pouring rain, and won't be home in time for me to leave when I need to. Can anything else go wrong? I call my neighbor for help, she's not home. I call Sheriee and she is home and very willing to help. I'm am so lucky they live close. I'm dressed and putting my makeup on and Channing comes in and says...
Channing: Mom, are you SURE you're wearing those pants tonight.
Me: Yes, why. Are they not cute?
Channing: Well.... yeah, but they just aren't "young womeny"
So I guess I'm wearing old lady pants.
My neighbor calls back and can come and watch my girls until Ryan gets home. Before I leave Chloe spills her milk one more time, this time down the side of my bedspread and all over the carpet.
Once I get to the church things go great!! The evening turns out better than expected and I can now breath a HUGE sigh of relief.

13 comments:

Adri and Cory said...

Oh my gosh Amber....I don't know how you kept yourself together so well! It is almost comical. It is definitly one of those things that you can laugh at later! I would have...well you know me. I probably would have started crying and had a breakdown. Way to hang in there!!!!!

Moke said...

Oh man!! I feel so bad I called you yesterday with my pitty little question of a story book. That probably added to the stress. I am sorry to say, but I did laugh at the story. I don't know how you handled it all. I give you props for handling it all.

Amber Staub said...

Don't worry Moke, you called before all hell broke loose.

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

Hmmmm, why did I have a kid? ;) Sounded like a super fun day. That's funny about your "old" lady pants. Where does she come up with this stuff, she's so funny.

Melynda said...

Great job at keeping it together. Your talk was great last night. I would have never guessed you were cleaning up milk and pee while writing it.

Behling Family said...

That is so funny. I thought it was bad when I called to the point of the sauce on the carpet, but apparently it had just begun.
Good job to keep it together.

sheriee staub said...

Oh those darling granddaughters! First of all, you don't own any "old lady pants" but it doesn't surprise me that little miss fashion bug even noticed. And the "jelly bean" - sounds like she had quite the day. Next time you need to call Grandma Sheriee sooner:) By the way, I heard your program was "Just Darling". I knew it would be. My lose. Love ya

Bertie said...

Oh WOW Amber!! You pulled it off amazingly! No one would have ever known that you went through all that... it seemed as though you had everything prepared for weeks!:) It really was a great night!

Moke said...

Amber.. YOU'VE BEEN TAGGED. For more information visit www.scottandmoke.blogspot.com

T said...

Holy smokes! I don't really know what to say that hasn't been said. There is a lesson in there somewhere. Like...When your taking care of something important put the "seeemingly" potty trained kids back in diapers and lock them in a padded room with super readers on. Works every time...I've heard...not that I've done it or anything.

Burk Family said...

Okay, this makes me really mad. I've been blogging for months and ususally get at most 5 comments on my posts. Then along you come and write 3 posts and get 10 comments right off the bat. That is so rude.
Good job with the girls, though. I thought of you yesterday when Carter peed his pants like 10 times.

Stephanie said...

Hi Amber, I saw your blog on Bertie's site and love it. I'm so sorry about your day. When I saw you I would have never guessed about your bad day, wish I could have helped. You did great and your pants were very cute.

Leslie said...

i can't believe channing said "young-womeny." and i love your blog. found you from melanie's comments. :) do you mind if i link you on mine?