Thursday, October 2, 2008

Catch Up!

I'm a little overwhelmed at how much I have to catch up on and frankly I've been avoiding it this week. I wish I was better at just posting a little here and a little there. Where do I start...

Chloe's Birthday August 31st.
Chloe turned 3 the end of August. She was really excited for her birthday this year. She wanted a lollipop, a clock bracelet(a watch), and a birthday cake.

So she got a handful of lollipops, a clock bracelet, and a brithday cake. She got some other great things from grandparents, and other family members. What a great birthday!

Ryan's brother Wes and his family were here from Dallas so we took the kids bowling as part of the birthday celebration. They loved it!




Argh!!!! The dreaded closed eyes.

First Day of School, Sept 2.

Both girls started school last month. So far...great! They go twice a week for 3 hours. This is such a nice breather for me. I get a few hours to clean, shop, grocery shop, do nothing, whatever. It makes me a happy mom when I pick them up. I actually feel like I appreciate their "sweet" personalities a little more after these few hours.

Hurricane Adventure, Sept 11-15th.

Our story isn't that exciting, but that's probably a good thing. Ryan and I decided to leave Houston and head to his parent's lake house to weather out the storm. We left early Thursdday morning to avoid any traffic. We spent the weekend fishing, relaxing, enjoying the beautiful weather, and taking advantage of our time away with the girls. I felt a little guilty about having such a great weekend while there was a hurricane causing so much damage.



After a few days at the lake house we traveled to Dallas to see Wes, Kate and the boys. The girls love Logan and Benny and get so excited when we tell them we get to see them. They had a lot of fun playing together.

We left for Houston Monday afternoon. It took us about 2 hours longer to get back. Most of the gas stations along the way had lines all the way down the feeder roads of the freeway to get gas. It was a little crazy driving into a dark Houston. Our house still didn't have power but Ryan's parent's house did so we stayed there.

We spent all day Tuesday cleaning up our house. These pictures don't look that bad, but it took us quite a while to get it all done. We were really blessed because our area wasn't hit nearly as hard as expected.

Before the clean-up...

After...
We didn't get our power back until Saturday, a week after Ike hit. I am so glad we had somewhere to stay. We are blessed to now have our life back to normal.

Here are a few pictures of areas in our neighborhood and some just outside our neighborhood:



One quick video...This is a video that shows the difference between Channing and Chloe. We were on a boat ride and Ryan took his hands off the steering wheel and told the girls one of them better come over and steer. Channing got very nervous and eventually burst into tears, and Chloe hopped onto Ryan's lap without a second thought and took over. I love that they have such different personalities. It makes moments like this enjoyable.

15 comments:

Moke said...

Uh, what's up with this post?

Moke said...

Sorry about my last comment, because when I checked it nothing came up and it just said "Catch Up" with no words or pictures or anything. So sorry about my first comment.

sheriee staub said...

Amber - love the update on all the happenings. Love all the pics of the grandkids. Those fish the girls are holding up are quite a catch. It was fun to have your family with us for a few days. We loved it! It was A-OK that you missed the hurricane. Love the video in Papa's fishing boat - sooooo Chloe and Channing!!!!! Love those girls.
G'ma and Papa

Burk Family said...

That comment from my Mom was SOO not from Papa, too. He gets no credit for ever checking the blogs of any of his children or daughters-in-law. However, if you need a current update on the weather, he can tell you the 10-day forecast...
Anyway, loved the update. I've been waiting for it and ALMOST gave up on your blog. You need to be careful of that. Once you get deleted from my blog favorites, it is VERY difficult to ever make it back on.
The girls are just too cute. I'm glad that you didn't have much damage to your new home. Put up some pics of the house when you can!

T said...

Where do I start with this post. What a cute cake!!! Did you make that, Betty Crocker? So sorry we didn't call on her birthday!! We completely spaced that one. "Clock bracelet" that is so cute.

Your house is so awesome. Our houses almost look like twinners. Can't wait to see the inside (hint, hint). I am so glad you guys escaped most of the hurricanes wrath. Blessed for sure! Looks like everyone wasn't so lucky. What a mess.

Looks like the girls had fun with the cousins. Cousins are just the best! Chloe's dreaded closed eyes must have been inherited from you. The last little video is hilarious. Poor Channing! Thanks for the update. It's been too long! I think that means you owe us like a couple a week this month.

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

what a beautiful cake. Your girls are so, so cute! What a fun trip to escape the hurricane. We went to San Antonio and had a vacation ourselves, I felt just like you! I was having such a good time and felt bad for all the people in Houston. I'm glad your house survived. I love the boat video, that's hilarious!

John and Ashley said...

Glad to finally see you are among the living. It's been a while. I can't believe the hurricane stuff. I'm so glad to live in Huntington where the weather is fairly mild.

Andrea said...

That video is hilarious! Maybe a glimpse into what it will be like to have 2 girls:)
You home looks beautiful, despite the fallen trees, etc. I would love to see more pics of the inside. Are you in the same ward?

Adri and Cory said...

The boat thing was hilarious! I think you have a little "moke" on your hands! Chloe's cake was adorable! And the first thing I said when I saw the pictures were it looks alot like Tiff's. You guys have good taste.

Melynda said...

I loved that video! Isn't it amazing how different each kid is? You did a great job on catching up on everything!

Abby said...

Ryan is too cute with those girls--I love the "love tap" he gives Channing in that video. I love Chloe's bday wish list. I have to say once again how GORGEOUS those girls are! I already look up to them bc I know they will be beautiful and righteous and fun all their lives! You guys are such grown ups with your big house and all. Do we get more pics of all that? Glad you got a vacation out of Ike--that's the way to "hunker down," if you ask me, and you should feel cool that you have too much of a life to have time to blog every day! (I am also trying to imagine having multiple hours all to myself during the daytime and not staying up all hours of the night to have me time...that must be awesome.)

Bertie said...

The video is a riot!! That is so funny!:) Good job on the cake too- very cute!

Anonymous said...

Amber, that is the CUTEST cake.. I'll have to find out how you did that! Love Angie

Mandi said...

I love your new house. The video is so funny. My first born is really dramatic and would flip out as well if he was in the same situation. I guess we are really lucky each child has their own personality!

Anonymous said...

You did have a lot to catch up on! That video is so cute! I love the 1st day of school picture! Your kids are adorable!