Friday, August 15, 2008

Where Does Meat Really Come From?

Channing and Ryan got into a conversation about meat this morning. Ryan realized that Channing knew meat came from animals but she didn't know exactly how. He asked her how she thought we get meat and these were her answers:
1. You milk it out of them and mix it with something and it makes meat.
2. They lay an egg and the meat is in the egg.
3. They grow it and you pick it off them like fruit on a tree.
4. They eat something and then when they throw up it comes out meat, just like birds do with food for their babies.
POOR CITY GIRL!
We couldn't decide whether or not to tell her the real story. We opted not to. We're afraid we would have a little vegetarian on our hands.

10 comments:

Adri and Cory said...

That is funny! I probably wouldn't tell my kids the real story either! It's really interesting to think about things from the kids' perspective!

John and Ashley said...

Isn't it funny how these little ones minds work.

The Staub Squad said...

Logan and Wes were eating shrimp the other day when Logan asked, "Dad what is shrimp?" Wes said, "They are little animals that live in the water." He looked at the shrimp in his hand with one bit taken out, slowly put it down and refuses to eat anymore. We couldn't believe he reacted that way. Good decision not to tell.

T said...

I can't believe she came up with so many possible options. What a smarty pants! You know, if regurgitated meat does not gross her out, telling her the truth might not have the effect you think. She is so funny!

Behling Family said...

Those were some really funny answers! I too don't know if I would have told her, for that very reason, as stupid as it may be I still have a hard time with hotdogs, eggs, chicken, etc....

Bertie said...

LOL!! That is so cute! I love her answers:)

Abby said...

I'm trying to imagine a "meat egg." I love her brain. At the doctor's office Cubby was so excited at the fish poster (he loves Nemo) and the nurse said [a bit too aggressively] I like to eat fish--mmm! Barbarian! Although we do call salmon "pink fish" and so far no connection has been made to any friends of salmon...

Moke said...

Kids say and think the cutest things.

Kori said...

Oh how I wish my children had that innocence. My Korty has been debating which calf he would like to butcher. I have a hard time thinking about that. I guess that is what I get for raising my kids on a farm.

Anonymous said...

I love that! I think Channing is such a cute "little woman".. she is wise beyond her years! Love,
Angie