Thursday, December 18, 2008

Through the Eyes of a Child

Every year our Stake puts on a really nice Christmas Concert. This year I decided that we needed to go as a family and enjoy the beautiful music. It was 1 1/2 hours long and the girls actually did a great job sitting still. I love that they sat and listened, while only having to be slightly entertained. I didn't bring our regular church bag of tricks, instead I pulled an envelope and a pen out of my purse and gave it to Chloe. After drawing for a few minutes she handed me this:



And said this, "Mom, I drew a picture of you...MAD!"

Uhhh, what does this mean? Is this how she sees me, with psycho eyes and an intense mad mouth? There's nothing like getting a mood check from your 3 year old. I thought about the day and how it had gone and I guess she was slightly justified in drawing "mad mom" Twice that day she had gone running to the bathroom in a panic, only to make it as far as...right in front of the toilet. One of those times she had her dress on ready to go to church. ARGHHH!

After seeing this sad drawing of myself, I realized I need to try and be more patient with her. Life can be so short and I need to sit back and enjoy every day. I try to remind myself that these are the easy days compared to what's ahead. I hope next time she draws a picture of me it's a little different.

8 comments:

T said...

That is so funny! Boston is always asking me, "Are you happy now mom?" It reminds me of that sprint commercial, "how 'bout now, how 'bout now, how 'bout now". I get irritated a lot more than I should. I need to chill out. It's not going to last forever. I don't want them to look back on their childhood and remember me as a mean ornery mom. Little moments like this put it all back into prespective. That really is a funny picture!

Chris and Sally said...

I can't imagine you ever getting mad, it is impossible. I heard Peyton say to Kate yesterday, "Why is mom so mad at us?" It made me feel bad.

Mandi said...

Sometimes when I reflect on our days activities at night I feel a little guilty because I am so not patient and tend to get irritated so easily over little things. The whole potty issues at our house drive me crazy, Why is it boys just can't make it in the toilet? After a mean mom moment last week my husband asked why Brenden was wanting to sit to go potty rather then stand and I realized I need to relax and just enjoy the moments. But some days it is just so hard! Don't feel too bad we all probably look like that to our kids.

Adri and Cory said...

We all have those days! That picture is so funny! I too am trying to work on being patient espically with my boys! Dagen is the type that has to be busy in order to stay out of trouble and since we have about two feet of snow outside, it's getting harder to keep him busy,and Coen is just sooooooo busy climbing and into things, not to mention teething and wanting to be held all day cause he is tired. I lose my cool way more than I should. It's helps me to have a reminder so thanks for sharing this post!

Stevie and Meesha said...

That is quite funny actually...but it does make you think about what they really see. I wonder reading that story even how small Daxen he totally understand when I am upset..and it makes me think what he is thinking about me.

Behling Family said...

I was laughing really hard at the picture. She is so adorable. I too lose my cool way more than I should.It is hard to remember that they are only little for such a short amount of time. Dace often asks me why I am mad. It is not that I am mad most of the time, but I must appear that way!! I guess I need to change that.

Elise said...

I love the picture of the two of you all dressed up. It is always fun to do that. I think we all get upset at times and forget that they are just kids.

Kori said...

I am glad I am not the only one who get angry and mad- It's to bad our kids remember us that way.